CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday 24 January 2009

Onx's Chole (pronounced Sholay) (spicy chana or chick peas)

Onx's Chole Recipe

This dish is served in all the street markets in the towns in Northern India. It's really cheap, tastes really great and it's easy to cook. Actually it's probably a good recipe for students if they wanna change from tuna and toast. I hope you enjoy it and please don't forget to leave your comments.

Ingredients

2 tins chick peas, drained and washed
1 onion, halved and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp salt
2-3 tblsp groundnut/olive oil

Method

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and fry for about 5 mins or until golden brown.
add the garlic, ginger, ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground coriander, chilli powder, cumin seeds and salt and fry for a couple of minutes.
add the chick peas and give a thorough stir so that all the chick peas are coated in the spices.
keep stirring for about 4-5 mins.
add about half a pint of hot water.
cover and simmer for about 20 mins.

Remove lid, give a stir and taste.
adjust the seasong to suit.

serve with my bhaturas, chapatties or pitta bread.

'these are the nuts'.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Onka, It's Tamsin - I made this the other day - it was lovey but I added a couple of things. I hope you don't mind, it's just the way I cook - Can't help but add stuff to make it my own. I added a couple of finely chopped tomatoes and also the juice of half a lemon. After adding the juice of the lemon I chucked the lemon in for the rest of the cooking time. Then I also added some raw finely chopped onion to serve.

Hope you're good. Take Care Tams x